Friday, May 8, 2009

Cold Call me Crazy!

I woke up today with a new fire. A passion to move my sales forward and not look back. My list is ready, my phone is plugged in. I dial my first lead on the sheet.

"Hello this is Jenna Bradley with...., hello?" Oh that's nice music I think. I must be on hold. I wait. 5 minutes pass by and I decide to hang up and redial. "Hello, this is Jenna Bradley with...." Music again. Wow, that's not very nice. What if I was already a vendor servicing this company? Screw them. I dial a new number.

"Hello this is Jenna Bradley with BestImaging, can I speak with the office Manager?" "No, she doesn't know me! Well, can I leave a message?" There's a pause. I ask again, "Can I leave a message?" She agrees so I tell her my name and number and then ask, "Do you want me to repeat my number back to you?" There is no reply so I ask again. Holy cow, that rotten receptionist hung up on me. I consider calling back but decide nothing good will come from that. I wonder if there is a full moon.

I decide to change my strategy and get the office manager's name and then call back and ask for him or her directly tomorrow. Tricky, I tell ya. I'm not really busy tomorrow anyway or the day after that, or the day after that. Besides, using the phone is saving the planet but it's hell on my thighs and ass.

"Hi I'm trying to update my contact sheet for our company, can you tell me the name of your office manager?" She tells me, I write it down and consider quitting and taking the rest of the day off. Success requires celebration. I change up my strategy several times but I try not to use my name or company. I'll have to use it tomorrow when I call back.

After 100 calls and getting the names of 75 key personnel, I think I may have found the Holy Grail. Only a few receptionists actually asked me for my name or company.

All of that and it's only 2:30 in the afternoon? How is this possible? I pick up my series of B leads. Oprah is on? Rock, paper, scissors. Ughhh, I lose. Wait, how can I lose I own both hands?

I plow ahead.

By 4:30pm I have 132 names of key personnel and then it hits me. I'm going to write them a letter. A clever little note with a product brochure included in the envelope. I'll wait a few days to call and then I'll have something to follow up on.
I'll have to pay for the postage myself though. Cut backs in everything. I ponder the stupidity of this but decide to sell something on Ebay to cover it. I'm a wizard.

And then it hits me again. Wow, this job has become real work. It could be worse, I could be sleeping in my car.

Selling is not simply a job, it's a skill that's continually built upon over time. We are dedicated to helping you navigate and grow during good times and bad. Sales-Negotiation-Training.net

We'd love to hear your questions! Email me directly!"

No comments:

Post a Comment