Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Please Don't Talk to ME about Sales Goals! I'm not in the Third Grade!

We interrupt our story for a very important message on goals! Oh, not goals you say. "I should stop reading right now," you mutter to yourself. "But you have proven to be slightly entertaining, so I'll endure this post in the hope that you continue your story tomorrow!" I promise I will but humor me and read on.

Most people don't like the word "goals." I'm really not sure why. Maybe it's because in the back of our minds we aren't certain we can or will reach them. And if we can't reach the goals we set, our minds tell us we fail. None of us want to see ourselves as failures. Our egos cringe at the very thought. So we decide not to construct them and convince ourselves without them we can't fail. Or, something like that.

The miraculous things about goals is that if you write them down, review them and BELIEVE them, you will achieve them! It's really that simple. Consider Jim Carrey:

“I wrote myself a check for ten million dollars for acting services rendered and dated it Thanksgiving 1995. I put it in my wallet and it deteriorated. And then, just before Thanksgiving 1995, I found out I was going to make ten million dollars for Dumb & Dumber. I put that check in the casket with my father because it was our dream together.” Jim Carrey

If you are in sales today, wrap your mind around the fact that not only do you need goals, you want goals in this current economic environment. And it's when we write these goals down and believe, the power of the universe seems to take over. Even if you sell a product today that is unaffected by the economy (pacemakers, stents etc...) having goals will keep you at the top of your game and in the running for your companies top award.

For those who have never written a goal in their life, I don't expect you to take my word for it. But, if you want to excel in sales, decide for just a moment that what I am saying is true and test it for yourself.

Write down how much money you want to make for Q2. Then go backward from that. Write down how many sales you would need, how many presentations you would need,how many prospects you would need, how many cold calls you will have to make, what time you should start your day and what time you should end it. I even include how many weekends I think I need to work. Include everything on this sheet you need to do in your particular sales job to meet your goal. This exercise will probably not take more than 10 minutes.

And in doing this exercise you accomplish two things: 1. You have set your goals and 2. You have just built your road map success.

You might be surprised to find that this simple little exercise will actually change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment